Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Eid Mubarak!

Eid is like any other religious festivity! A time for families and friends to get together and celebrate another year,to worship(in some cases) , a time to eat too much, spend waaay to much money, a time to laugh or cry, a time of reconciliation or great big family bust up’s!  Anything goes.

I for one have had the best Eid ever and people who know me are familiar with my dislike of Eid. This was the first Eid in a very long time that the whole family has been together in the same country for about six years. I also feel very blessed that Mohamed had they day off ,I find it very difficult to muster any festive spirit when Mohamed is not here to celebrate the day with us.

It all started on Sunday when we took Noora to get her Henna done. Sara had told her that she had to sit very still to have it done, she took this very literally and wouldn’t look at me to have her picture taken. Such a good girl!

003 That afternoon I went up to my mum’s to help with the baking, cooking and getting all the crockery out. This is what Laila did next:022 This was the breakfast meat and we did another of Harees, which is eaten with the meat. The pots are hugs and the quantities are amazing but at the end of the morning there was nothing left!

The next day we got up and got dressed up and headed to my mom’s for our first breakfast of the day. I forgot to take pictures of the dinning table but this is all of us together.028

(Jamal didn’t get here in time to have any Dishdasha’s made and Abdulla refused to wear  his!)

We then went off to Mohamed’s mom’s for another breakfast and then to my Aunties for yet another breakfast and finally lunch at Mohamed’s sister house! Few, as you can imagine we were royally stuffed by the time we got home at five . So whilst I cleaned the fridge Mohamed and the kids crashed. 030 Today was also another great day. We were  the lucky recipients’ of a visit from my friend Aisha and her girls whom were here from Abu Dhabi visiting family. Aisha and I had a lovely couple of hours chatting our hearts out and the kids played beautifully.

The kids and I also managed to catch up with friends of mine who left Oman about six years ago. I have always thought of Afsheen, Khalid and their beautiful girls and today we met them at Darcy’s Kitchen for an Ice Cream. My - how the girls have grown in to eloquent, exceptionally well behaved young women, well done guys! and A&K haven’t changed a bit. The conversation was fantastic (as always), my kids behaved beautifully and allowed me the time to chat, thank you my lovelies!

I have had goose bumps since we left them, it brought back to me how much I love them and how lucky I am to always be surrounded by such wonderful family and friends.

And so, where ever you are and whatever religion you may or not be(!?) I hope that you and yours are healthy and ask that you join me in me in sending out some prayers/positive thoughts/energy(what eva floats yer boat!) so that as humans we can all be a bit more compassionate and tolerant of each others differences. 

Much Love xxx

2 comments:

  1. Eid Mubarak! Just back from the "village" and looking forward to a cappa tomorrow.

    The family looks great and i am so glad you had a great time. Oh and do I see your sofa set??????? Yipee!
    and very funny that my word verf if jessus

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful message. You are blessed with a wonderful family. I enjoyed hearing about what you do for this holiday (I admit I know so little about Islam). I agree with your message of tolerance, peace, and compassion. Best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete